Saturday, February 20, 2010

Simplicity Jacket

Simplicity 2812
Misses Lined coat in two lengths and jacket with collar variations.
I made the jacket with the gathered collar. I only had two yards of wool fabric but I managed to fit all the pattern pieces on the fabric with noting but a few scrapes left over.

I made a muslin in a size 12. It was to big all over except in the bust area. So I decided that I needed to cut out a size 10 with a FBA. I got on line and googled FBA and found a few helpful web sites. I use this one. So I started cutting out the FBA on the pattern pieces hoping it would work. Got that done and it looked right so started cutting out my fabric.

I have had some problems in the past with easing the sleeves in so I also read up on easing sleeves in using a lot of pins. This worked so much better than ease stitching and pulling the treads to gather the sleeves. The end results was a smoother sleeve cap none of those little puckers that I have gotten in the past. I also put in sleeve heads following the directions from The Complete Photo Guide To Sewing. I would recommend this book it's got a lot of full colour photos which I find very helpful. I liked the look of the sleeve tabs and just about had enough fabric to make them. I think they add a nice detail to the sleeves. The welt pockets where much easier to do than I thought they would be and I love the end result.

I was worried about getting the gathered collar to look right so I took my time gathering and pinning and I'm pleased how it turned out.

For the lining I used a flannel backed satin for a little extra warmth.

I'm very pleased with how my jacket turned out. This is great pattern it all came together nicely once I had the fit issue worked out. I would like to make it again with one of the different collar variations.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Vogue 8323 Knit Top

Vogue 8323

Misses/misses' Petite Tops. Knit tops with princess seams and stiched hems.

I made view C.

Fabric used: Knit jersery.

I made this up in a size 12 and the fit is great. I seem to get a better fit with the vogue patterns. They do not seem to put as much ease in to their patterns as some of the others do.

The only change I made to the pattern was to make a neck binding out of the same fabric rather than using bias tape as the pattern called for.

Great pattern. I plan on making the other views in this pattern.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Burda 8028 Pullover

Fabric- Ponte knit for the red one and some mystery knit from my stash for the black one.

Pattern sizing-36-50 I made the size 36. The first time I made this pullover in a 40 and it was way to big in the neck and shoulder area. Decided to pull out the pattern again and give it another try in a smaller size.

The instructions for this pattern where easy to follow; no problem there. It was with attaching the v neck that was tricky. It's still not perfect but it is wearable. I made the black one second so I did a much better job on that one. Hopefully each time I do a v-neck it will get better with practice.

Overall I think this is a great everyday wear pullover. Once I hem the sleeves I'm sure I will get lots of wear out of them